This is a cake fit for any occasion and one of my favourites ! Just follow my seven simple steps. Enjoy x
-200g of self raising flour,
-200g of margarine,
-200g of golden caster sugar,
1. First of all you need to set your oven to 180c/350f/gas 4.
2. Then in a large bowl measure out your flour, baking powder and sugar, When they look like sand, add the margarine, And mix well !
3. Next crack your eggs in a separate cup (incase of any egg shells) Then add them to the flour,sugar and margarine. Be careful not to over mix, you want it to be a light colour, with no lumps. Get a spatular and scrape around the edge of the bowl, and under the mixture, making shore no butter is left on the sides.
4. Once you are happy, trace around both of you cake tins with grease proof paper. cut out the stencilled circles and rub butter on the base and sides of both your tins. And finally place the greaseproof paper on the base of your tin.
5. Next gently add half your mixture in each tin, making shore you don’t squash any of the air in the mixture. Place in the oven, setting a timer for 25 mins.
6. To check your cake is cooked stick a fork in the centre of each cake if it comes out clean then your cake is ready, if mixture is stuck to the fork keep it in for another 10 mins, repeating this step until the fork comes out clean !
7. Gently take your cakes out of tins, leaving the greaseproof paper on the bases. when cakes are cooled, six the double cream until it holds its shape, and gently smooth across the surface, you will ant quite a lot of cream on the cakes. Then add your jam and place the other sponge layer on top.
EXTRA – To finish off sprinkle a little icing sugar on top, it always makes it look amazing !